Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Faith and Books




1/5/11
I am finding the value of faith, even when I feel that all I have done is complain or not given it enough credit. I owe so much gratitude and thankfulness to God for just showing me that he is there and forever faithful and unyielding in his love to me.
Today my car seems to have no problems at all. My Dad came and got it yesterday and apparently the only thing wrong with it was the radiator cap was not on tight enough. All the leaking, fogging up, and overheating had been one simple thing.
This makes me think of all the times when we are faced with life or problems that seem so vast and multiple in numbers we get so overwhelmed that we panic. So, when after the dust has settled we take a step back and suck in a big breath we see that it was all only one small problem that was easily fixable. I can’t tell you how many times I have jumped to conclusions or caused more problems to appear because I didn’t look at a situation with a clear head, or with a speck of sanity. In the end I am left feeling a little foolish, and in that moment I humbly admit defeat or at least laugh at myself.
Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused. I love that quote, it still hangs on my bedroom door at my parent’s house. There’s a lot of truth in that statement and I know that I should try to remember it more often.
Ok that is my wise reflection for the day, or at least the moment. Here is the Random:





I just finished a book trilogy entitled The Call of the Herald, well thats the first book...its really titled The Dawning of Power. It was a free book on my kobo e-reader app on my phone, well the first book was. It’s a fantasy story and I fell in love with it. I purchased the other two books for 99 cents on Amazon kindle for PC. It took me all of 3 maybe 4 days to finish them both because I could not put them away. And now that it is all over I feel lost and sad! I miss the characters and their amazing battles and how they grew from kids/teenagers to adults. I will miss reading about their story and adventure and overcoming the odds stacked against them. You can think weird of me but I don’t care. I have found that I enjoy reading so much. It’s like opening a world to which I can escape to, often times wishing I was the main character, or just a character all of my own to add to the story. Sometimes the stories are so great that I never want them to end. I usually get this with a trilogy or a longer series. For example: the Twilight series, or Red, Black, and White series by Ted Dekker. I cried at the end of White. For several reasons, the beauty of the story was so emotional and so spiritually linked to how God loves us and sacrificed so much for us. It put that into a solid story with its own shapes and feelings that I cried. And also for the simple reason it was over even though I wanted more of the story that was left untold to the imagination. Books and stories can overwhelm me with emotion; I’ve yelled, cried, laughed, gasped and even shut the cover, and to my embarrassment I’ve done it out loud around people who just stare at me. But either way, yes this is a weird and random post about books, but as I said I will miss the book and characters I just got done experiencing a different life with.
I have another book I am currently reading by Steve Berry The Emperors Tomb. So hopefully the adventures of Cotton Malone will once again draw me in to a real world of secrets and adventure, and somewhat real history.
Until next time….read on :)

No comments: